It’s the end of the year and I thought it would be fun to reminisce on the deals I enjoyed during 2008. Partly because it’s good to remember but also because it’ could serve as a good reference for 2009.
2008 was the first full year that saw me using coupons heavily. It was also the first year that I played the drugstore and grocery game. This allowed me to take advantage of rebates, register rewards, extra care bucks, double coupons and other types of promotions, in addition to just plain overage, to help me save money. The results were extremely positive. My family has received more than we could ever imagine and we have also been able to give back more than we ever thought we could.
Here are some of my favorite deals of 2008:
- Olay soap deal at Walgreens. This register rewards promotion earned me about $88 in register rewards that I used to buy paper towels, diapers and other items that usually require a lot of money out of our budget.
- RX Essentials and Viactiv overage deals at Walgreens. Adding food to cover overage is a tactic I use to cut back on food budget.
- Free food deals were plentiful this year. Here are three popular ones: Poptarts at Target, Nutrigrain Bars at Walgreens and Omaha Steak Deal (this one ended up bursting at the end but I still got some cheap burgers out of this one).
- Diaper deals: I particularly had fun with the diaper deals at CVS and who can forget the diaper deal at Walgreens this summer.
- I have saved a lot of money thanks to double coupon promotions at my grocery store’. Even though at the beginning of the year the store canceled the promotion, I helped lobby to bring it back. The store brought it back at the beginning of the summer. Hopefully it will remain for a while longer. I also had a lot of fun the first time Kmart doubled coupons here in Wisconsin.
- We also saved on clothing expenses by taking advantage of these deals: Sears Father’s Day Gift Card promotion and Victoria’s Secret Bra deal.
Those are just some of my favorites. I would love to hear from you. What were your favorite deals of 2008? If you have a blog, I think your readers would love to hear from you. If you decide to write an entry with impressions of your favorite deals feel free to leave a link to it in the Mr. Linky below. Don’t forget to link back so they can come read other favorite deals entries.
Tomorrow’s topic: Favorite Coupon of 2008