It’s tax time and whether we like it or not we have to get ready to pay our taxes for last year. While it is not something that I look forward to, I have made the experience more pleasant by using Turbotax over the last five years. Preparing your own taxes may not be for every one but if your tax situation is simple enough you may be able to save a lot of money by doing so. The reason I have consistently used Turbotax over the last five years is that its interview format makes it easier to make sure you cover all of your basis and don’t miss a thing. Here are some quick points about the benefits of using Turbotax:
- Guiding taxpayers step-by-step: Built-in guidance for more than 350 possible deductions and credits, including the 2009 Economic Stimulus.
- Checking as they go, so there are no detours: Real-time error check immediately flags errors and missed information. Customers can fix mistakes as they go or come back later when they have their information in hand.
- Double-checking for commonly overlooked deductions and credits: TurboTax customers won’t miss important credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. An estimated 5.6 million eligible taxpayers failed to claim this credit last year, potentially missing out on as much as $4,600.
- Providing instant answers: Customers have easy ways to get answers to their questions, when and how they need them, including instant answers from other TurboTax users and tax experts online via the TurboTax Live Community.
- Including audit support with every return: The TurboTax Audit Risk Meter helps customers avoid common errors and reduce their risk of an audit before they file.
- Instantly transferring investment and wage information: TurboTax customers can easily, accurately and securely import 1099 investment and W-2 wage information from more than 140 financial institutions and payroll providers directly into their tax return.
Get it FREE!
Do your taxes for FREE with TurboTax Online Federal Free Edition. This free edition is for those who file 1040EZ or simple tax return. It comes with free efile, which I love BTW. We have been e-filing since the program started and now can’t imagine why anyone would mail in their returns and wait weeks for their refund check (if they are getting one).
Two lucky Common Sense with Money readers will have a chance to win a free Turbotax Deluxe online copies good for one free federal and state tax preparation plus free efile.
What do you need to do to enter this giveaway?
1) Leave me a comment sharing why you do or don’t prepare your own taxes.
For three additional entries you can:
3) Become a Facebook fan of this blog.
This way you can earn up to four entries. Just please remember to come back and leave me a separate comment for each additional action you have taken (leave comment, share on Twitter, share on Facebook, etc).
If you are reading this entry via email updates or via RSS reader please CLICK HERE to visit my blog to enter. Emailing me is not a valid entry for this giveaway. This giveaway is open to residents of the United States only. Please enter only if you are 18 years or older. This giveaway ends on 1/31/2010 at 5PM CST. At that time I will close the giveaway and select two winners randomly.Disclosure: I was offered two copies of Turbotax to give away on my blog. I was not compensated for my opinion. My thoughts on Turbotax are the result of me using it over the past five years.