Ideas for kids to make money are great for teaching kids responsibility and the value of a dollar. I’ve found that my kids are much more understanding about personal hardships and much more responsible about spending their own money once they started earning it for themselves.
Instead of simply asking for everything that they want, they begin to realize that sometimes money is in short supply. Earning their own money also helps them realize that not everything in life is free, money doesn’t grow on trees, and all those other fun cliches that us frugal moms like to throw out every once in a while.
No matter how they are, you can almost always find some good ideas for kids to make money. Hopefully, this little list will help get you started.
Classic Ideas For Kids to Make Money
Some ideas for kids to make money are classic and timeless. kids were doing it 20 years ago, today’s kids can do it, and kids in the future will be doing it. Here are some classic ideas for kids to make money…
- Mowing lawns. This one’s for the older kids. This is really only feasible if you already own a lawn mower or can invest in one, though. (And if you trust your little darling to run it unsupervised.)
- Delivering papers.¬†Even in today’s modern digital era, many people still get their newspapers delivered. Many newspapers also still hire younger kids to deliver papers.
- Babysitting.¬†This isn’t just for girls either – boys can babysit too! Make sure they take a safe babysitting course.
- Open a lemonade stand.¬†In the summer lemonade stands are hot! However, if you live in a colder region, you might want to consider a hot chocolate or hot coffee stand around this time of year.
High-tech Ideas for Kids to Make Money
The digital boom opens up a whole bunch of new ideas for kids to make money, especially older kids! Here are just a few…
- Create websites.¬†Create a few samples from cheap domain names and web hosting, and start creating websites for local businesses and organizations. You can also advertise services like this on places like Craigslist.
- Teach.¬†A lot of older adults still aren’t quite sure how to use the Internet and computers. Older kids – and even some younger kids – could earn a few extra dollars teaching basic and advanced computer skills to neighbors and friends.
Crafty Ideas For Kids to Make Money
More creative and artistic kids will love crafty ideas for kids to make money…
- Make and sell ornaments. Make personalized holiday ornaments and decorations and sell them door to door or online through sites like Etsy.
- Sell paintings.¬†Young painters can sell everything from custom portraits and¬†realistic¬†landscapes to abstract and unusual paintings.
- Design T-Shirts. Places like CafePress and Zazzle allow you to design and sell things like t-shirts, bumper stickers, and coffee mugs.
- Write a book.¬†Write and sell books using POD services like Create Space and Lulu.
So, there are just a few ideas for kids to make money. Do you have any to add?