As more and more images continue to come out of Texas my heart breaks and yearns for something I can do to help. Millions have lost everything and entire cities have been devastated. Hurricane Harvey is being called a historic storm; unleashing trillions of gallons of rain along the Texas coast. Everyone at Freebies2Deals is lifting our hearts and thoughts in prayer for the state of Texas. If you are wondering how you can help, I have collected a list of organizations that can be trusted to use donations for relief efforts in Texas, as well as some ideas you may not have thought of.
- Text HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross
- Text UWFLOOD to 41444 to donate to the United Way Relief Fund
- Visit www.helpsalvationarmy.org or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY to donate to the Salvation Army Hurricane Harvey Relief Efforts
- Contact your local churches to find out how to donate. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been sending humanitarian supplies since before Harvey hit and will continue to do so throughout the relief efforts. You can donate to their humanitarian fund here. You can also donate to the Southern Baptist Disaster Relief Fund to assist in relief efforts.
- Donate blood. The South Texas Blood & Tissue Center & Carter Bloodcare are accepting donations. Find a local blood drive going on in your area, through the Red Cross, if you don’t live near one of these facilities.
- If you are located in surrounding areas volunteer at a shelter. A list of shelters can be found here.
- You can also allow rooms in your home to be rented out on Airbnb to Texans who are stranded throughout the country and can’t return home. Or rent space to local evacuees who need a place to stay. I have three families currently staying with me for free until they can return to Houston. Airbnb is connecting people who need a place to stay with people who are offering space for free.
- The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Texas is helping displaced animals. Donate at https://www.spca.org/give or sign up to adopt or foster pets at https://www.spca.org/foster
- Portlight Strategies is assisting older people and people with disabilities you can donate to their efforts here.
- Save The Children has organized their own Hurricane Harvey relief fund. You can donate to their efforts here.
- Donate to local food banks. A list of food banks and how to donate can be done here. Websites for each food bank is included in that article. You can log on and donate through their website if you live out of state.
- A local screen printing shop out of Austin, TX has created a t-shirt you can purchase for $15.00. 100% off the proceeds will go to Harvey Relief Efforts. You can purchase those here through Labor Day.
If you know of any additional ways that people can help please let us know in the comments. There are plenty of options here in this post. If one doesn’t appeal to you, you can simply move onto the next one. This is done in the spirit of loving, serving, and helping our fellow man. Our hearts are aching to help bear their burdens and ease their suffering in some small way. Please know our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Texas and with all of those working tirelessly in rescue efforts, shelters, and throughout the Houston area.