How to Shop at Walmart
Shopping at Walmart is an activity that can cause mixed feelings. One minute you can be excited about the deals you are finding and the next, well, the next can be filled with a bit of frustration. However, in general shopping at Walmart is a very straightforward process (for the most part).
These are the terms you need to become familiar with when shopping at Walmart:
- Roll Back: It’s a temporary sale price offered on a particular item.
- Price Match: Walmart price matches competitors ads. You must bring with you the whole competitor’s ad, although some stores keep them by the registers.
How to get free stuff at Walmart
1) Pretty much the only way to get free stuff at Walmart is by combining a roll back or everyday low price price a manufacturer coupon or mail in rebate.
Things to Remember When Shopping at Walmart
1) Don’t let cashiers or Assistant Managers tell you that Walmart doesn’t accept internet coupons. Accepting internet coupons is part of Walmart’s Corporate Coupon Policy. Print this coupon policy and bring with you to help your shopping experience.
3) You can use up to $40 worth of coupons at a regular check out without requiting manager approval (at self checkout this goes down to $20). After manager approval you can use as many coupons as you want.
4) Before you leave the store make sure to check your receipt to verify that coupon discounts you expected were applied. It is easier to correct situations right after you complete the transaction than later.
- Why do prices on items vary from store to store?
According to the Walmart website “Prices may vary from store to store because each store is required to manage its own inventory. Therefore, a manager may lower a price to clear out an overstock item, to reward customers with an in-store sale, or to compete with local merchants. It is not our policy to price match our own stores or our online service since we are not in competition with ourselves.”
- My cashier wouldn’t let me us a manufacturer coupon because the value of the coupon was higher than the value of the item.
I have been there and done that not once but twice. While Walmart has an official coupon policy this matter is not directly addressed in it. My best advice is to contact Walmart Corporate and explain the situation. In my experience Walmart Corporate will call the store manager and explain the protocol they need to follow. In general, this means that the value of the coupon will be adjusted down at the register resulting in getting the item free
- I had a horrible shopping experience, what do I do?
Your best course of action is to call Walmart’s Customer Service at (800-WAL-MART) and calmly explain what happened. In my experience your call will be followed up with a call from a local management.
- Does Walmart Price Match competitor’s Prices?
As mentioned before Walmart does match competitor’s prices. Make sure to check the detail of Walmart Price Match Policy here.
- Does Walmart double coupons?
Walmart does not double coupons.
What are your tips for making shopping at Walmart a smooth experience? Or what feedback would you provide to improve the shopping experience there?