With a deal site such as this, we get asked lots of questions regarding saving money and more. One of the most often asked questions that we hear though is how to save money on healthy food.
If this is one of your questions, check out these tips for saving money on healthy food:
- Use Coupons. Believe it or not, there are quite a few coupons available to help you score deals on healthy foods. Simply search for organic coupons and be sure to log into your grocery store membership account and check the fruits and vegetable as well as organic category.
- Shop at Farm Stands. If you have any local farm stands, I highly suggest you shop there for your produce. They are locally made, many of them feature no pesticides and they are much cheaper than grocery stores.
- Stock Up on Meat. When you see a great deal on meat, be sure to buy a lot and store it in your freezer.
- Avoid “Quick” Foods. Quick foods are often unhealthy foods. Take oatmeal for instance, you can buy instant oatmeal packs for around $3 for 8 servings or you can buy a big container of quick oats. They cook in the same amount of time and they have much less sugar than instant oatmeal.
- Meal planning. Planning your meals in advance saves money and helps you eat healthier.
- Use Your Slow Cooker. Slow cookers make our lives easy in so many ways. Not only does it save you a significant amount of time when cooking, but it’s easy to throw meat and veggies in the slow cooker in the morning and by evening, you have a healthy meal.
- Shop Sales. If you find a great deal on a healthy food that you eat often, stock up. For instance, we eat a lot of peanut butter in our family. I recently found a sale where I could buy jars for just $0.99 each. I grabbed 8 jars right then (I would have bought more, but that was the limit), I know that we are going to go through the peanut butter quickly and I would much rather pay $0.99 than the $3.50 that it typically cost.
Do you have any tips for shopping for healthy foods on a budget?