Halloween is loads of fun for most families. Unfortunately, we should also keep in mind that it can be somewhat dangerous. So, to help keep everyone safe, here’s a list of some of the most important trick-or-treat tips for Halloween safety…
- Make trick-or-treaters as visible as possible in the dark. Have them carry flashlights or put reflective tape on the legs and arms of their costumes.
- Never allow children to go trick-or-treating alone. Either accompany them or have them go with friends.
- Always use crosswalks or cross the street at an intersection after checking for traffic. Avoid crossing the street between parked cars.
- Drive carefully! Always be on the look out for trick-or-treaters darting across the street and from between cars.
- Make sure masks fit properly and your child can see well. Some masks can make it difficult to see well, which can result in accidents.
- Teach children basic safety rules. This includes never getting into a stranger’s vehicle and never going into a person’s house, as well as how to watch for traffic and cross the street safely.
- Teach children when and how to draw attention to themselves if they’re approached by a suspicious person. Consider having them carry a whistle and cell phone in case of emergencies.
- Make a plan and stick to it. Supervised and unsupervised trick-or-treaters should plan their route beforehand and not deviate from it. All trick-or-treaters should have a plan for if they get separated from their groups.
- Have your child check in at certain times, if you’re not going with him. For instance, have him call periodically and have him either come straight home afterward or call from a friend’s or relative’s house.
- Check your child’s candy before they eat it. Homemade and unwrapped treats should be discarded. If you really want to be safe, you might also be able to have your candy x-rayed at a local hospital or medical center.
If you’re doing any last minute Halloween shopping today, you can pick up some reflective tape, glow sticks, and flashlights as well. Some stores, like Walmart, allow you to buy items online and pick them up in the store that same day. On the Walmart website, just look for products marked with “Free store pickup as soon as today” or “Pick Up Today”.
Learn more about the Walmart Pick Up Today policy on Walmart.com.