There’s only a couple more days until Halloween. If you still haven’t figured out your costumes yet, there’s not much time!
Even if you still have no idea what to dress up as this year, all is not lost. You don’t have to skip that Halloween costume party because of procrastination. You don’t even have to run to the store and sift through the few remaining costumes on the rack.
Here are some creative and super simple last minute couples costume ideas that you should be able to throw together with items you have right at home.
Monster & Monster Hunter
One of my favorite couples costume ideas for Halloween is a monster and monster hunter. One of you can dress up as a classic monster, such as a vampire or zombie, while the other dresses as a rough and tough monster hunter.
Here are a couple of examples:
Vampire & Vampire Hunter
- Both of you can wear just about anything you want, but black, gothic, or old-fashioned clothes work well.
- Fake fangs and fake blood complete the vampire outfit.
- A large cross, wooden stakes, and “holy water” complete the vampire hunter outfit.
- Spend the night hunting each other.
Zombie & Zombie Hunter
- The zombie should wear old worn, ripped, and dirty clothes. The hunter can wear just about anything.
- Pale skin with dark makeup in the hollows of the face, especially around the eyes, can make the zombie’s face look sunken. Add bruises and fake blood on the face and around the mouth.
- Zombie hunting weapons, like (fake) machetes and shotguns, can complete the hunter outfit. Remember – zombie hunters can never have enough firepower!
- Zombies traditionally move slowly, growl a lot, and search around for flesh and brains. It’s the hunter’s job to catch and eliminate them.
Frances “Baby” Houseman and Johnny Castle (Dirty Dancing)
One of the classic modern couple, Baby and Johnny from Dirty Dancing are sure to be a hit at any Halloween costume party. Plus, you probably already have everything you need right in your closet!
- Clothing options are flexible for him and her. He can wear a black tank top and black pants and she can wear a white button down shirt and knee length jean shorts like in the famous Mickey and Sylvia Lover boy scene. Or, you can recreate the final scene, with her in a flowy light colored dress and him in a tight black polo and black pants.
- Spend the night dancing and gazing into each others eyes. Say things like “this is your dance space, this is my dance space” and comment on each other’s spaghetti arms.
- He should also march up to her and declare “Nobody puts baby in the corner!” whenever the opportunity strikes throughout the evening.
- Bonus points if you can pull off the ever famous running-off-the-stage-and-into-his-arms-for-a-lift scene!
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Go full on cheesey with this couples costume idea! A PB&J couples costume is one of the easiest to create.
- Peanut butter dresses in a tan shirt or outfit. Wear a sign with the JIF peanut butter logo, or paint the logo right onto the shirt.
- Jelly wears a red or purple shirt or outfit. Add a Smuckers logo, and you’re good to go.
- Large pieces of bread can be easily created from poster board and attached to the back of your outfit for those of you feeling really froggy.
- Spend the night singing Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
Thing 1 & Thing 2
The Thing 1 and Thing 2 couples costumes might be even easier to create than the PB&J costumes! The hardest part of creating these costumes is probably deciding who will be Thing 1 and who will be Thing 2. By going as these famous Seuss characters, you’ll also be able to avoid the most dreaded question at a costume party – “what are you supposed to be?”
- Red shirts are all you really need for both him and her. Completely red outfits or red footie pajamas would be even better, though.
- Write Thing 1 and Thing 2 on white circles of paper or fabric, and attach the circles to the fronts of the shirts.
- Blue hair isn’t absolutely necessary, but it can definitely add the finishing touches. Blue hairspray is cheap and can be found at most stores around Halloween, including dollar stores.
Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol & Winner
You’re almost sure to have just about everything you need for this couples costume idea right at home. Anything you don’t have just adds to the effect and can be picked up for super cheap at any store.
- A suit and tie – or at least a nice outfit – is a must for him. After all, the Prize Patrol has to look his best!
- Pajamas, a house robe, and messy hair can be a fun look for her. Curlers in the hair can also add a little something.
- Create a large check from a piece of cardboard or poster board.
- If you really want to make an entrance, she can arrive first and he can ring the doorbell and arrive later, announcing the lucky winner – complete with a huge check and balloons!
Sleepyhead & Troll Doll
Who doesn’t remember the cute little troll dolls? This couples costume idea puts a little more of a cuddly spin on those cute little dolls. instead of a hard plastic troll, think of this as more of a stuffed troll that you hug while trying to go to sleep.
- He can wear just about anything, as long as the shirt is cropped to expose the belly. Just think of all the awesome themed troll dolls that used to be available – fishing troll, vampire troll, wizard troll, rock star troll, biker troll. The list is endless!
- A gem in his belly button can be created using a cut out cardboard shape and some glitter.
- Pajamas for her, of course. Messy hair or pigtails can complete the look.
Live out your dream of pulling off an infamous bank heist with this couples costume idea! What? You don’t want to be a famous bank robber? Must just be me…
- Black and white striped shirts and black pants for him and her.
- Create black masks from scrap material or black construction paper to go just across the eyes.
- Carry pillow cases, totes, or paper bags with handles with large $ symbols on them for your loot.
- Flashlights and fake pistols can complete this look, although I doubt you’ll need them, since these costumes are pretty obvious.
Artist & Canvas
Show your artsy side with this creative couples costume idea! Making the costume might be a bit messy, if you’re into the splatter-type art.
- He can dress in old paint-stained clothes with an art smock or plain apron. He’ll also need an artists palette with colorful paint and a paintbrush. A beret is a nice touch, but isn’t necessary.
- She is his canvas, so you have a little room for creativity here. A plain white t-shirt makes a nice canvas, and you can add splattered paint or a half-finished masterpiece. If you aren’t much of an artist, stick figures or a simple square and triangle house if fine.
- He should step back and stare at his “masterpiece” with a critical thoughtful eye periodically.
- Don’t forget the title and price tag for finished “masterpieces”!
I absolutely LOVE these DIY silent film star costumes from Shrimp Salad Circus! If you aren’t old enough to remember silent films, don’t worry. This costume is easy enough to create.
- Old-fashioned black clothes for him and her to start this look. You want to look like you just stepped out of an old black and white film.
- White or gray face paint will also give you that black and white film look. If you don’t have any, you may be able to use white eye shadow or cornstarch as a base and brush on some gray eye shadow over top. She should also wear gray blush, eyeliner, and lipstick.
- Finger waves are a great old-fashioned hairstyle for her. He can part his hair and gel it or wear a bowler hat porkpie hat.
- Print narrative for your “film” and wear them around your neck.
- Remember that you’re SILENT film stars. Don’t speak all night!
If you really have no time at all to put together a couple costumes, why not just raid each other’s closet? This looks goofiest if you are both quite different, but it’s a cute idea for any couple!
- He dresses in her clothes and she dresses in his clothes.
- If he’s quite a bit larger than she is, a dress may be the best option.
- Don’t forget his makeup, nails, and accessories!
Are you dressing up with your significant other this year? What are some more ideas for simple DIY couples costumes?
Resources You Might Like: