Do your kids do chores at home? Do you find yourself stressing over whether or not you should start implementing chores? I am a firm believer that kids should absolutely do chores at home and there are some really great reasons behind it. If you are working on whether or not this works for your family, check out these 5 reasons your kids should be doing chores.
- Teaches them life skills. It’s true, chores teach life skills. As much as we may not want to think about it, our children will grow up and be independent someday. We want them to succeed at that, which means they need to learn how to take care of their own home when they are adults.
- They feel like they are part of the family. The home is for the whole family. Kids who help out with chores feel more involved with the family when they help to care for the home. That is not to say that they won’t complain, but there is a definite sense of belonging and togetherness that comes when the entire family pitches in with chores.
- Eases your workload and stress. Seriously. You have enough to do don’t you? Having a little bit of help from your kids really will take a little bit of stuff off of your shoulders which will ease that stress.
- Kids who do chores are better teammates. Kids who participate in taking care of responsibilities with the other family members actually become better teammates and classmates for their school and sports games and projects.
- Teaches independence and builds confidence. Kids need to learn independence as they grow. Teaching them the skills of housework helps to teach them to do things for themselves and it helps to build their confidence.