FDA is warning consumers and health care providers that the agency has seen a sharp increase in hand sanitizer products that are labeled to contain ethanol (also known as ethyl alcohol) but that have tested positive for methanol contamination. Methanol, or wood alcohol, is a substance that can be toxic when absorbed through the skin or ingested and can be life-threatening when ingested.
Here are the 3 that have been recalled but you can find a complete list of recalled hand sanitizer on the FDA web site, here.
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (1L) Bottles
- Bottles will have lot number 53131626 and are manufactured on April 1, 2020. (These were sold in Virginia, Maryland and New Jersey)
- Bottles will have lot number 0530 and expiration date of 4/2022. (These were sold nationwide)
- All Clean Hand Sanitizer, Moisturizer and Disinfectant (1L) Bottles
- Bottles will have UPC code 628055370130 (These were sold nationwide)
- Mystic Shield Protection Topical Solution (8.45oz) Bottles
- Bottles were distributed between May 21 – June 30, 2020 and will have a blue or green label with white or transparent cap. (Sold in California, Louisiana, Massachusetts and Texas)