So many of us play Solitaire either online or offline on our smartphones and laptops almost every day. But did you know what Solitaire actually means? Or who invented this game? Well, today we are going to share with you 12 interesting facts that you might have never heard of.
- Patience is another popular name of Solitaire and is still used in many European countries like Russia, England, and France.
- The word ‘Solitaire’ originated from the Latin word ‘Solitarius’ which means ‘isolated’ or ‘lonely’. This indicates the single-player aspect of the game where one can play the game by themselves.
- This ever-loved game that is a must-have application for almost all computers and laptops all across the world today was invented more than 200 years ago.
- Microsoft was the first company to add Solitaire Masters Free App to their computers in 1989 and it has been a part of their system for more than 30 years. Now the games come preinstalled s Microsoft Solitaire Collection.
- Did you know that this quite an addictive type of leisure was actually started as an incentive exercise for people who needed to learn how to use the computer mouse right? Yes, that is true, the main objective behind including Solitaire card games into Windows OS was to help users operate mouse more effectively.
- Classic Solitaire started with 5 basic variants, namely Klondike, Spider, FreeCell, TriPeaks, and Pyramid. Today, it has more than 1000 different variations that are developed by many experts and enthusiasts.
- Did you know that May 22 is celebrated as National Solitaire Day? Various Solitaire online competitions are held all over the world to celebrate the role of this timeless game.
- Solitaire was designed by an intern at Microsoft by the name of Wes Cherry who in many interviews revealed that he didn’t receive any royalty for coding and developing the game.
- There are many people all over the world that have made a career out of playing Solitaire. These professional players even make a living by playing their favorite game online every day and winning in tournaments.
- Most of the games of free Solitaire are solvable and have a probability of winning of up to 80 percent. Most of these games are based on the theory and are lost only due to human errors rather than complexity.
- The highest score one can gain in Spider Solitaire is 24,113. This is a combination of the points earned by moving the cards as well as the time bonus obtained by solving the game in the shortest time possible. So what is your highest number of points at Klondike?
- Did you also know that the faces of the Solitaire cards are inspired by real historical figures? The King of Clubs after Alexander the Great, the King of Diamonds after Julius Caesar, and the King of Hearts and Spades after Charlemagne and King David (from the Holy Bible) respectively.
There is no denying that playing Solitaire is fun, especially if you use modern apps such as Solitaire Masters. Now, you know even more about this game and might be more interested and motivated. Play on your own or together with friends, and enjoy your leisure!